Yes or No

Just a thought:
During my summer holiday, I voted for the first time. I voted on whether or not the Act of Succesion should be altered so that the firstborn, no matter what gender, should be allowed to rule, whereas it has earlier been the firstborn boy rather than the firstborn child.
When I entered the isoloir (feeling very mature and grown-up) I found that the ballot paper read only ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ with a box next to each. Although it makes sense that the voters would know what they were voting for or against before entering the isoloir, I find it very odd that there was no explanation whatsoever on the ballot to indicate exactly what ‘yes’ and ‘no’ meant. I only thought about this for a second, and I imagine that the majority of the people knew what was being asked immediately. But I also believe that a few, or perhaps a large part, did not. I know that a lot of people are not all that interested in politics and was not really aware what they were going to vote on. I find it highly unlikely that anyone, if in doubt of what exactly they were voting on, would stick their head out of the isoloir and ask ‘hey, guys – what exactly am I voting on, again?’
This might be far fetched, but I believe that this might be an attempt to manipulate the small percentage of people who did not know what they were being asked. If I was the one who was in there, not knowing what question I was being asked, I would most probably tick ‘yes’. ‘Yes’ seems like an active choice. It makes you a good voter. You have taken a stand on something, you support something, you are a good and strong citizen. Could that be the case or did whoever designed the ballots simply assume that people would have the courtesy to at least know what they were voting on before going to vote?
Anyway, 85.4% voted YES and the Act of Succesion was altered. Point proven? Not at all, but theorizing is fun.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar